Fishing Boats, Steveston BC c. 1930
A woodblock print by R. G. Bunyard entitled "Fishing Boats, Steveston".
Steveston is located just south of Vancouver BC and at this time was the centre of the West Coast troller and gill-net salmon fishing fleet.
Good condition, corners slightly bumped.
Bunyard, Richard Geoffrey (1883-1973)
Richard Bunyard was born in England and studied architecture at
Eastbourne College in Sussex.
He worked briefly in a London architectural office
before emigrating to Canada in 1902.
In January, 1906, Bunyard moved to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to open Moose Jaw’s first architectural firm.
Bunyard was the first, the most prominent, and prolific architect in the Moose Jaw
district, designing approximately one hundred buildings over two decades. He was one of the seven founding members of the Saskatchewan Association of Architects, and served as the association’s president in 1917-18 and
Bunyard also sat on the council of Royal Architectural Institute of Canada.
In 1929 he moved to Victoria, B.C. and began serious study in drawing and painting at the British Columbia College of Arts in Vancouver under college founders and Group of Seven painters Frederick H. Varley and Jock MacDonald.
Bunyard was registered with the Architecture Institute of British
Columbia from 1943-48. He retired in 1951 and continued to paint until his passing in 1973.
His work is illustrated in "Printmaking in British Columbia" published by the Art gallery of Greater Victoria.
Moose Jaw Museum & Art Gallery, Moose Jaw, SK
Linocut on paper
Ask a question about this item